The Transport committee of the London Assembly will be quizzing the Deputy Mayor for Transport and the Transport Commissioner on how they will be meeting the Mayor’s transport promises at it’s meeting tomorrow (Thu 24 May).
The Mayor’s commitments, of course, include meeting the three key tests of the London Cycling Campaign’s “Love London, Go Dutch” campaign:
Three flagship walking and cycling schemes in accordance with ‘Go Dutch’ principles
‘Go Dutch’ principles applied to all roadworks and development schemes under the Mayor’s control
Superhighways completed to ‘Go Dutch’ principles.
Boris Johnson made additional commitments to cycling during the course of the election campaign:
- Appointing a Cycling Commissioner (in response to a question at the Times/Sustrans hustings about putting a ‘cycling representative’ on the Board of Transport for London)
- Being more assertive with Borough ‘recusants’ that get in the way of Superhighways (to the London Jewish Forum in regards to Barnet Council).
- Appointing a cycling representative on the Mayor’s Roads Task Force (to British Cycling).
- Expanding cycle hire as per Boris’ manifesto.
- Lobbying central government to press for stronger sentencing in relation to road incidents involving cyclists (in response to a question at the Times/Sustrans hustings from someone whose brother was killed by motorist convicted of dangerous driving but only spent a couple of months in prison).
Readers of this email may wish to lobby their Assembly Members – particularly those who sit on the Transport Committee, on reminding them of the Mayor’s commitments to cycling.
A reminder, below of the relevant Assembly Members, and their constituencies.
Caroline Pidgeon (Chair) – Londonwide
Valerie Shawcross CBE (Deputy Chair) – Lambeth & Southwark
Jennette Arnold OBE – North East (Hackney, Islington and Waltham Forest)
Victoria Borwick – Londonwide
Tom Copley – Londonwide
Andrew Dismore – Barnet & Camden
Roger Evans – Havering & Redbridge
Darren Johnson – Londonwide
Joanne McCartney – Enfield & Haringey
Steve O’Connell – Croydon & Sutton
Murad Qureshi – Londonwide
Richard Tracey – Merton & Wandsworth